Thursday, June 19, 2014

Checking In

So far so busy here.  I didn't post my menu plan for this week but I did do one.  It's just that it's all gotten switched around due to schedule changes.  But it's all good.  And last night, I forgot to take the meat out of the freezer in time to thaw so I had to improvise.  We had a modified version of these nachos and Pioneer Woman Mexican Rice.  The kids thought it was the bomb and it was a reminder to me that dinner doesn't always have to be complicated and fully balanced.  Sometimes you do what you can.

In other happenings:





Little Monkey


The Little Monkey went to his first Tribe Game.  Hubs wanted to bring him.  I was against it.  Over all he did OK.  He's going through a screaming phase and that is no fun for anyone.  But he did well and he seemed to have fun.

He's also talking a lot more and putting words together.  So far he's the earliest talker of all the boys.  I'm sure having two older brothers has something to do with that.  As of last Saturday he's 22 months old.  Only 2 more months until his second birthday.  Slow Down Time!!

The Older Boys are enjoying their summer break.  But summer break is never without issue.  Aside from the fact that my house constantly looks like a tornado went through it and I feel like I spend all day in the kitchen, they have been fighting with each other.  A lot.  So we are working on that.  Being a referee can be exhausting.

And both have chore and behavior charts that I put together from here.  They are 10 (almost) and 12.  They really should have more responsibility around here.  And I could surely use the help!

Today is a rainy day so we'll see how being shut ins goes.  I see more chores in both their futures.

3 comments:

Liz said...

The mexican rice recipe calls to use Rotel. Do you use it? Is it safe for PN/TN allergies? Or do you have a substitute suggestion? Thanks!

ChupieandJ'smama (Janeen) said...

We do use Rotel! I seem to use it all the time in my chicken tacos, Tortilla soups and now this. It is safe for pn/tn allergies and is also gluten free. If you want to avoid additives, you can also make your own: http://thehumbledhomemaker.com/2012/08/homemade-rotel-tomatoes.html
HTH!

barbarah said...

I've been surprised to find that some of my simplest, throw-together meals have been some of the kids' favorites.

I'm a definite fan of chores for kids! :-) I've seen some good ideas on Pinterest for dealing with kids' boredom over the summer.