Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Trying To Return From Sicktown

(I'm not making colorful pancakes but these look really fun.  Picture found on the internet)

Oh my word, this has been a terrible virus.  It started out as a sore throat, exhaustion, and an achy body.  It's now morphed into a terrible head cold (still tired and still achy).  I spent Friday, Saturday, Sunday (minus church and a quick trip to the grocery), and most of Monday in bed.  Thank goodness the boys were off of school Friday and Monday.  I'm sort of up and about today.  I got the boys off to school and am doing laundry (Thank goodness the cleaning girl is here today or my house might be condemned).  I was going to make pork tenderloin yesterday but wimped out and ordered pizza instead (and of course still had to make the Little Man's safe pizza but was thankful that I have some Dr. Shar GF pizza crusts on hand to make it easier).

Today is Shrove Tuesday so we are having chocolate chip pancakes, hash browns and bacon for dinner.  The boys are super excited so I plan on resting most of the day and saving my energy for dinner prep.

Since today is Shrove Tuesday that means tomorrow is Ash Wednesday and the start of Lent.  It's a day of strict fast and abstinence for healthy adults between the ages of 18 and  60.  This means that there is no meat or animal products of any kind to be eaten and one small meal should be eaten and nothing more.  For those Catholics 14 years and older, meat should be avoided (but no fasting for 14 years and younger).  I'll be making vegan chili for dinner tomorrow.  The boys will love that (she says sarcastically).

Over the last few days, we've been talking as a family about the things we are doing or giving up during Lent.  Here's what we've come up with so far:

1.  We are adding money to our mission box from Catholic Relief Services.  We've had this box since last year and have been adding to it all year but we'll ramp that up during lent.

2.  No T.V. Tuesday.  As a family we'll be giving up television on Tuesdays.

3.  We'll be attending the Stations of the Cross every Friday evening at church.

4.  Using the  Resurrection Tree.

Then each of us decided on things that we would do on our own during Lent.  I won't share what hubs or the boys have decided but here are mine:

1.  Pray more.

2.  Finish reading the Catholic books that I have started.

3.  No Facebook Wednesdays (I thought about giving Facebook up completely during Lent, but I use it for food allergy research and I'm afraid I'll miss something important that could affect the Little Man's health).

4.  Read the bible daily.

5.  Give up potato chips.

6.  Give up yelling (I mostly do this to the boys, but I also yell at bad drivers in other cars).

7.  I told the boys this morning that I'm giving up head colds, but I think that one is really out of my control.

For more ideas on things you can do during the Lenten season, see Danielle Beans post 40 Ways in 40 Days.

So happy Mardi Gras, Fat Tuesday, Shrove Tuesday to you.  And happy 40 days of Lent.


2 comments:

Gab said...

I'm not Catholic, but I'm all for no TV Tuesdays and no Facebook Wednesdays! I've been thinking about giving up FB for good but hesitate for the same reason...

Hope you're feeling better!

ChupieandJ'smama (Janeen) said...

Thanks Gab! I'm still taking it easy and hanging in there. I think No TV Tuesday and No Facebook Wednesday may continue long after Lent. I've thought about giving up Facebook for good too. I'm just not quite there yet.