Monday, December 08, 2008

The weekend wrap up

This weekend will be known as "the weekend we threw $1500.00 out the window".
A few weeks ago we had the whole front end of our car repaired for $1500.00 and on Saturday a woman driving too fast slid through a red light and slammed into the front passenger tire/quarter panel making all that work for naught.
Hubs and the Little Man were in the car and THANK GOD no one was injured (and that includes the lady). The Little Man didn't even realize that the accident happened, but the aftermath scared him. Hubs pulled off the rode and when he got out of the car, another car came sliding through the intersection hitting an EMS truck (who just happened to be driving by). The Little Man thought that was a bit much. Then the police showed up and that scared him. And riding in his car seat in the front of the tow truck freaked him out too. The poor child didn't want to sleep by himself that night. And I don't blame him. That's a lot for one 4 year old to take in.
So now I have a "loaner". It's not a good one. It's a stripped down, late model Ford Explorer that has some quirks. Like the doors won't open unless you press the unlock button on the key fob 4 times in a row. And every time I get in the car it says "door ajar". So I have to get out and re shut all the doors. And if you think the light is just broken, it's not. It's serious. And I know this because I decided to ignore it when I went to pick the Little Man up from preschool this afternoon and while driving down the road, the back window flew open. NICE!
So I'm in an insurance company cyclone today. The phone keeps ringing with either our insurance agents office and the claims center of the insurance company. The insurance company of the lady that hit us hasn't called yet. Since they are supposed to pay for all of this, I don't have a good feeling that I'll get my car back soon.

A dairy update: We've given the Little Man dairy each day since the challenge and more hives have popped up. On Saturday I let him have one Stoneyfield Farm yogurt squeezer and then "someone who shall remain nameless" gave him another one. He got a hive on his cheek about 1.5 hours later. Then Sunday he had another yogurt with a hive on his eye brow. And he tried some Sour Cream and Onion Lays Stax and got a 2 hives on his chin. I was all ready to pull the dairy/call the allergist when he had another yogurt this morning with NO hives. So were still on the fence as to whether he's actually outgrown dairy or if his allergy is just lessened and we still need to wait. I'll tell you this though, it's all totally stressed me out.

I've been wanting to start baking my Christmas cookies and making candy, but I don't know if I need to stick dairy free or if I can use butter. So I'm still holding out. I'll probably make a few dairy free batches this week just to be on the safe side.

As of this morning though, I feel sick. I feel something bad coming on. I don't have time to be sick so I'm praying that it will pass. There's too much to do for Christmas to be sick. I have stuff at both schools, Hubs Christmas party (that I don't have anything to wear to yet), Polar Express tickets (that cost an arm and leg so we WILL be using these) and much more. Sickness is not an option.

So now you're updated. If you don't hear from me for a few days then you know the sickness got me. Please keep your fingers crossed that it just keeps moving on by.....

7 comments:

Bailey's Leaf said...

K- was pretty freaked out when we were in our accident. Like Little Man, she literally didn't know what hit us, only that Mommy was a raving lunatic yelling "ARE YOU OKAY?! ARE YOU OKAY?!" Obviously, she was, but after I pulled her out of the car seat and walked to the back of the truck, she saw the back window out and just started crying, "Our car!" When the EMS came to check her out, she was frantic. All she did was scream.

It's traumatic for the little people.

Hive boy rides again, eh? Poor kid.

Insurance companies SUCK! I'm sorry, but it is true. Again, be on them for a new seat for him. Doesn't matter that it was a light smack, they need to give you a new car seat.

And I thought he would have thought that the ride in the tow truck was cool!

Anonymous said...

I felt soemthing coming on last night and today have done Zicam 3 times and airbourne 3 times. IT hasn't progressed so I hpe to keep this homeopathic crap going on as long as I need to if it seems to be working. Sorry about the dairy, as I have said before, I feel your pain. If you want to talk and brainstorm, I'll email you with my number.

:) Dawn

Barbara H. said...

I'm so sorry about the accident. Glad everyone was safe, but it is such a headache getting everything taken care of afterward.

It almost sounds like the dairy allergy hasn't completely gone away -- or maybe he's just reacting a bit since he hasn't had dairy in so long, and his body is getting acclimated? I don't know. I'd be stressed, too.

I so hope you're not sick. It's never good for moms to get sick, but especially this time of year. Hope you can get some rest (hard to do this time of year, too, but I have found that really nips colds in the bud if I can get some extra sleep.)

Jess P. said...

I hope you're feeling better. Good luck with the dairy challenge, it makes me stressed just thinking about it!!

Danielle said...

I really hope that you don't get what you mom had!!! I will keep my fingers crossed for you and I am glad that you decided to stay home today because Eddie is teething and has a runny nose etc...
I say that you just try to rest the next couple of days so that you can do all the events that are scheduled in your calendar!

Sue said...

I'm sure this weekend was stressful for you. I'm not ignoring your e-mail - I just have not been home. Between working my 2 days, doctor's appointments, etc I'm going crazy. And still recovering myself from my sickness last week.

Poor Little Man - scary stuff, car accidents. I'm glad no one was hurt.

Michelle said...

that does sound like a stressful day! I'm sorry about the accident, but thank God everyone is ok. I hope the lady's insurance pays soon!

I would be on edge about the hives too...I wonder if it's just a little reaction from his body not used to having the dairy; sounds promising that he didn't get a hive that last time...will pray that he really is over the allgery!