Thursday, November 13, 2008

Those sneaky allergens

How about a big steaming cup of anaphylaxis?

10664A_CelestialSeasB

The weather is getting colder outside and I love a hot cup of tea when the wind is howling outside. Tea warms me up and relaxes me.
Celestial Seasonings came out with their holiday line of teas and I had to snatch some up. I love peppermint, ginger, cinnamon - anything that's spicy and that has a holiday taste to it.
The Little Man doesn't drink tea. He's not that refined (lol) so I didn't read the label because it's for me, not for him. And frankly, it didn't occur to me to the read the label on tea (probably because I myself don't have allergies). But I am an obsessive compulsive label reader. As I was putting the tea away I flipped over one of the boxes and read the ingredients and sure enough there it was: "barley". Oh crud. Even though he's not going to be drinking it, I don't feel safe having a big ol' cup of barley sitting around the house. UGH! Why barley in tea? I bought the Gingerbread Spice tea (this one is clearly labeled for barley and even says "contains gluten" on the box):
Ingredients: Cinnamon, ginger, roasted chicory root, roasted barley malt, natural flavors (contains soy lecithin) and luo han guo.

May contain gluten.

The other tea I bought was Candy Cane Lane tea. The ingredients appear safe and that box says "gluten free":
Ingredients: Peppermint leaves, decaffeinated green tea, orange peel, natural vanilla and mint flavors with other natural flavors, cinnamon, milk thistle, blackberry leaves, roasted carob, roasted chicory and vanilla bean.

Gluten free.

So I guess I'll be saving my Gingerbread tea for after he goes to sleep.
A big ol' cup of barley is just NOT in my comfort zone.

10664A_CelestialSeasB

5 comments:

T with Honey said...

Wow! You're not kidding when you say that you have to check everything for allergens. I would have never suspected herbal tea.

Nowheymama said...

I bought a caramel-flavored kind once that actually had milk in it.

Bailey's Leaf said...

Who would have thought that you need barley in tea? I know that you told me about wheat in spices as an anti-caking agent (oh, delete this message if I'm wrong), but who would have thought tea?

Ugh. I'm sorry. I'll stick with my Salada Citrus Green Tea. But who knows, maybe it contains illegal stuff!

Barbara H. said...

Amazing -- and scary!

ChupieandJ'smama said...

Bailey's Leaf: you are correct. Not all spices are created equal.

And I know that wheat/gluten hides in tea, I've just never seen it before. It just struck me as odd.