Monday, August 27, 2007

Kindergarten

Kindergarten Orientation. My brave, loud, personable 5 year old boy was reduced to a hand holding, stand behind his mother, shy, I’m not going to Kindergarten 5 year old boy. I don’t think I’ve EVER seen him that unsure of himself. And I got to be “crazy check writing lady”. A check for tuition, a check for playground fees (not sure what that is, I just blindly paid it), a check for technology fees (I’m assuming computer something or other), a check for PTO, and I decided to bypass writing a check for lunch tickets since he’s a picky eater. We’ll buy them one at a time until I see how he does. And since I’m working in the lunch room 2-3 times a month, I will get to see how he does at lunch.
He did get to meet his teacher Mrs. H and the teachers aid Mrs. C and he seemed to like them and he warmed up a little bit. He met the two boys that will be sitting next to him. One looks like a really nice boy, but the other boy looks like he could be heck on wheels. Somehow I have a feeling my son will gravitate toward that boy. I let him walk around the class room and I tried to show him all the “cool” things that are in his room (I’m sure “cool” isn’t the “in” term but he’s 5 so he doesn’t know I’m totally lame yet). He seemed a lot more relaxed by the time we left. And strangely enough, I felt a lot poorer. Got to love Catholic school.
After that we went to lunch. I took him for his first Arby’s. Since he’s my meat eater, I knew he’d love it and he did. He almost ate a whole roast beef sandwich, 1 tater cake and a curly fry all by himself. Luckily they have some decent salads for me. Then we went to the bookstore. I bought him The Kissing Hand. Just try and read that book and not dissolve into tears. It’s almost impossible. I did manage to do it though. And I told him that it’s our special 1st day of Kindergarten book. Of course being five years old and a boy, he did try and wipe my kiss off, but I just told him that he wasn’t wiping it off, he was rubbing it in. He got the most confused look on his face (score one for mom).
Tomorrow is his first day. It’s only from 11:00 am to 12:30 pm. They are shortening the first few days and breaking up the class so they ease the kids into the Kindergarten experience. You know I’m going to cry anyway. I just hope I make it out of the building before I do. You know I’m going to do the “ugly cry” and no boy wants his mother to embarrass him on his first day of Kindergarten. This could set the tone for his whole school career.

6 comments:

Nunnie's Attic said...

Awww, good luck tomorrow! You'll be so proud of your young man. But if you're anything like me (and from the sounds of your blog you are) not crying is not an option. Take a deep breath, don't talk (that always makes me cry) and smile like your heart isn't breaking.

Aimee said...

When I dropped Older Girl at K, I managed to hold it in until I got to the car. Of course, by then I was crying so hard that people probably wondered who was the lady in the minivan having a seizure.

You'll make it, just cry it out :)

Barbara H. said...

Wish I could reach through and give you a hug! I think we all cry that first day...

Barbara H. @ Stray Thoughts

andria said...

Geez, I feel for you. I remember that, it was so hard. I hate to tell you doesn't get any better. I cried the first day of first grade too.

Michelle said...

How special that you bought him a book for the first day of kindergarten. Sometimes I think these milestons are harder on us than on our kids. That's great they are easing the kids into the schedule with short days, that should help. Hugs to you!

Annabelle said...

Awe, I remember my 2 older boys 1st day of school...I cried! The Kissing Hand is a book that my 2nd boy's Kindergarten teacher read that at our orientation to the children. She said she would read it a couple times that first week of school too. This was last year and it seemed to help most of the children!