Friday, December 01, 2006
Favorite Ingredient Friday (Big Jim's Baked Beans)
I have no idea who Big Jim is, but I got this recipe from Better Homes and Gardens magazine August 2004. These beans are always a big hit and no matter how much I make, there is never enough.
Big Jim's Baked Beans-BH&G: Jim Beeler
1. 6 Slices of Bacon
2. 1/3 cup chopped green sweet pepper
3. 1 21 oz can of pork and beans in tomato sauce, drained
4. 15-16 oz can of butter beans, rinsed and drained
5. 1/2 cup ketchup
6. 1/4 cup honey
7. 1 tsp. packed brown sugar
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a large skillet cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Drain bacon on paper towels, reserving 1 tbs. drippings in skillet. Crumble bacon; set aside.
2. Cook green pepper and onion in reserved hot bacon drippings about 5 minutes or until tender.
3. In a 1 1/2 quart casserole combine pork and beans, butter beans, half the crumbled bacon, and the green pepper mixture. In a small bowl combine ketchup, honey, and and brown sugar. Pour over the bean mixture; stir gently to coat.
4. Bake, uncovered, for 50-60 minutes or until heated through. Stir gently and sprinkle with remaining crumbled bacon before serving. Makes 8 servings.
Each serving: 195 cal., 3 g total fat (1g sat. fat), 11 mg chol., 804 mg sodium, 37 g carb., 6 g fiber, 8 g pro.
Head on over to Overwhelmed With Joy for more tasty recipes. Thanks for the reminder. I almost forgot Favorite Ingredient Friday!