Friday, December 01, 2006

Favorite Ingredient Friday (Big Jim's Baked Beans)

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting



I have no idea who Big Jim is, but I got this recipe from Better Homes and Gardens magazine August 2004. These beans are always a big hit and no matter how much I make, there is never enough.

Big Jim's Baked Beans-BH&G: Jim Beeler
Ingredients:
1. 6 Slices of Bacon
2. 1/3 cup chopped green sweet pepper
3. 1 21 oz can of pork and beans in tomato sauce, drained
4. 15-16 oz can of butter beans, rinsed and drained
5. 1/2 cup ketchup
6. 1/4 cup honey
7. 1 tsp. packed brown sugar

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a large skillet cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Drain bacon on paper towels, reserving 1 tbs. drippings in skillet. Crumble bacon; set aside.
2. Cook green pepper and onion in reserved hot bacon drippings about 5 minutes or until tender.
3. In a 1 1/2 quart casserole combine pork and beans, butter beans, half the crumbled bacon, and the green pepper mixture. In a small bowl combine ketchup, honey, and and brown sugar. Pour over the bean mixture; stir gently to coat.
4. Bake, uncovered, for 50-60 minutes or until heated through. Stir gently and sprinkle with remaining crumbled bacon before serving. Makes 8 servings.
Each serving: 195 cal., 3 g total fat (1g sat. fat), 11 mg chol., 804 mg sodium, 37 g carb., 6 g fiber, 8 g pro.
Head on over to Overwhelmed With Joy for more tasty recipes. Thanks for the reminder. I almost forgot Favorite Ingredient Friday!

7 comments:

Overwhelmed! said...

Wow! These sound fantastic! I can see why they'd be a big hit. You can be sure I'll be trying these.

Thanks for taking the time to participate in my Favorite Ingredients Friday recipe exchange! I do appreciate it! :)

Jessica said...

I love baked beans! I'll have to test these out to see if they're as good as my mom's!

Barb said...

It's kind of funny that the first thing you said is you have no idea who Big Jim is because that was the first thought that came to mind when I read the title of your recipe. :-) The beans sound good. Very good. But I'd sure like to know who Big Jim is.

Larae said...

These sound soo delicious, yummy! Thanks for sharing =)

Miranda said...

that sounds very easy...and really good :)

Michelle said...

Hubby really likes baked beans so I'll have to make this one day!

Christine said...

Yum! My hubby would love this!